Sealcoating is the process of applying an emulsion type product on the existing pavement or driveway that will seal and fill small voids and cracks. This process can be completed to prevent additional damage to the pavement by weather and chemicals in contact with the driveway or parking area. Sealing the surface of the asphalt pavement can help extend the life of any asphalt pavement.
The sealcoating process can be applied normally one year after the initial pavement has been placed, allowing the right cure and wear of the surface. However, it is recommended to sealcoat driveways and pavements every two years, occasionally going down to one year, depending on the traffic and pavement conditions. Once applied you will need to protect the area at least 36 hours to allow for the chemical to set and cure.
There are two main products available: coal tar sealers and asphalt emulsion coatings. Cracks larger than 1/4 inches wide should be patched before proceeding. We use a hot rubberized crack sealer to repair these cracks
Some of the benefits of sealcoating include:
- Extends the life of the driveway and parking lot.
- Provides a uniform coat over the pavement to hide scars and patches.
- Protects the driveway from salts, chemicals, and moisture from penetrating the pavement.
- Easily applied using squeegees or spraying.
- A cost-effective way of repairing or surfacing the existing pavement.